Hello, welcome to Wikipedia. Here's some tips:
- You can introduce yourself on the new users page.
- You can sign your name using three tildes, like ~~~. If you use four, you can add a datestamp too.
- Remember to use the show preview button before you save a page.
- If you have any questions, see the help pages, add a question to the village pump or ask me on my talk page.
Thanks Angela, Lukeisham 04:03, 17 Apr 2004 (UTC)
Hi there. Thanks for your note on the new user page. Just wanted to say that I liked the stub you wrote on your school. Isomorphic 05:58, 17 Apr 2004 (UTC)
Another Australasian - welcome, cobber!!
My most personal link with Tasmania was an ancestor named Hugh Ross. He was Attorney-General for Van Diemen's Land in the 1830s. Then he apparently blotted his copybook by tickling the till. Seems he got let off on a technicality, but clearly wasn't welcome to stay, so he took his family to Wellington, New Zealand, where his last child, Louisa, was born in 1844 - my earliest New Zealand-born ancestor.
My other recent interest in Tassie has been the categories in Zeal that I'm helping to build: http://www.zeal.com/category/preview.jhtml?cid=10148618 - a bit sketchy at present, but some help from a local would be most welcome!
Enjoy Wikipedia! :Robin Patterson 01:02, 18 Apr 2004 (UTC)
- Hi Robin, interesting link. There is a town in the central highlands of Tassie called Ross I wonder if it was named after him before he was naughty. --Lukeisham 06:04, 18 Apr 2004 (UTC)
- Good thought, Luke - but seems unlikely, since its website says this: "settled in about 1821 as a garrison town, coach and livestock market, and in 1826 it became the venue for the first agricultural show in the Midlands" - he hadn't arrived by 1821, as far as I know. Robin Patterson 04:15, 19 Apr 2004 (UTC)
Wow, there's actually another Tasmanian here - welcome! --Chuq 04:37, 20 Apr 2004 (UTC)
- Also, I noticed you created (and then deleted) a list of towns and cities in Tasmania. Maybe it could be added to either (or both) of the articles Local Government Areas of Tasmania and List of Hobart suburbs? --Chuq 04:50, 20 Apr 2004 (UTC)
Hi Chuq, thanks for the welcome! Yes, the list of towns and cities thing: I wanted to be able to work on Tasmania some more by adding more localised data about specific towns. But I'm not sure how to go about it, probably Local Government Areas of Tasmania is the best idea. --Lukeisham 07:25, 20 Apr 2004 (UTC)
Towns - urban areas - regions - cities - ... some of us NZers have been puzzling over the same sorts of things, and one of us has started a WikiProject about it. Other countries and states have been covered by other people. So maybe have a look at ours (which has a link to the others) - Wikipedia:WikiProject New Zealand Places Robin Patterson 01:01, 21 Apr 2004 (UTC)
Yeah, I had to complete university, get a job etc. But I'm back in action.
Hi Luke! -- Andrew Durdin.